SAN DIEGO PRESS CLUB 2023-2024
Scholarship Competition Instructions
Competition is open to students in San Diego County universities and community colleges or permanent residents of San Diego County attending college elsewhere. The scholarship application process is online. Below are the instructions for creating an account for yourself and submitting your required materials.
- $1,500 SDPC Director’s Scholarship to a community college student
- $2,500 SDPC Foundation Scholarship to a four-year university or college student
- Applicants must be accepted for admission and attending as an undergraduate or graduate student during the 2023-2024 academic year.
- Applicants must intend to pursue a career in journalism.
- Applicants attending college outside of San Diego County must be a permanent resident of San Diego County. Applicants attending in San Diego need not be San Diego residents.
- Note that applicants may apply to any scholarships they qualify for but may only receive one.
The scholarship application process is all online. See the instructions below to enter.
Materials to be submitted
Download and complete the above application. Submit it with the following:
- A short statement of your education/experience in journalism and your career goals – up to 500 words.
- Two to three samples of journalistic work written or broadcast by the student.
- A copy of your transcript (unofficial OK) through the most recent semester or quarter.
Entry Deadline is 9 p.m., May 19, 2023
Below are instructions for preparing and submitting entries. If you have questions, please contact Club Executive Director Terry Williams at 619-743-3669, or email@example.com.
- If you have entered on the BetterBNC site in the past:
- log onto www.betterbnc.com
- click on “Open Call log-in” If you don’t remember your password, it will be sent to you.
- If you get directed to a previous contest, go to Open Call Contestants at the top. From the dropdown menu, choose “my contests”
- Click on 2023 San Diego Press Club Scholarship Competition and you can then complete your application. On the Manage Entries page, click Submit Entry. Attach files or links for all the items required. Incomplete applications are automatically disqualified.
- If this is your first time, you must create your account:
- Go to www.betterbnc.com
- Click Open Call Login
- Click Create your Open Call Account
- Fill in all info
- You will see a message that a verification link has been sent to your email.
- Present your credentials
- Once you receive the verification link message, click on the link or copy into your browser.
- Complete the credentials portion – if you are an SDPC member or someone who has entered before, no need to get too detailed. This step protects the entry process.
- Once you see the “Credentials Updated” message, click on Available Contests.
- Select the 2023 San Diego Press Club Scholarship Competition
- Submit Entries:
- On the Manage Entries page, click Submit Entry. Attach files or links for all the items required.
This is your account – you can come back to it at any time during the call for entries time period – until May 19, 2022.
Scholarship winners will be announced and scholarships will be funded on May 30, 2023.
Official recognition and introduction of the winners will be at the 50th Annual Excellence in Journalism Awards on October 3, 2023.
Again, if you have any questions at all – please do not hesitate to call or email. Please contact
Club Executive Director Terry Williams at 619-743-3669 or firstname.lastname@example.org